Importing from Excel in Windows 8.1
A couple of days ago, a user informed me about a problem he had when trying to import a logical framework from an Excel workbook. Strangely, importing from Excel works fine in Windows 7 and Windows 8 but not in Windows 8.1
For its Excel importing and exporting functionality, Logframer relies on the Microsoft ACE or Microsoft JET providers (the latter is used when you still have Windows XP on your computer) which allow Logframer to connect to microsoft databases (mainly MS Access but a MS Excel worksheet can also be approached as a database).
Previously these were included during the installation of Microsoft Office. However now it seems that this is not always the case, which means that you will have to manually install the MS Access Database Engine (2010). When I did some tests I found that the problems occurs when you have Windows 8.1 with 64-bit version of Office 2013/365 installed. Even when the MS Access Database Engine is installed, it is the 64-bit version which cannot be used by Logframer because it is a 32-bit application. As a side-note, working with 'older' technologies is a consious decision on my part, because a lot of people and organisations in developing countries use older computers and operating systems.
So enough with the technical mumbo-jumbo. What is the solution then:
- First up, download the most recent version of Logframer from the site (http://www.logframer.eu/content/download). This is a new build of version 1.3 that eliminates a small bug in the importing process.
- Secondly, download and install the Microsoft Access Database Engine 2010 redistributable using the link below. However make sure that you install the 32-bit version:
- Click on the link below and on the respective page select the language of your choice and click 'Download'
- You will get another page where you have to choose between the 32-bit version and the 64-bit version. Make sure you select the 32-bit version.
- If you have the 64-bit version installed on your computer (check Configuration > Software) you have to uninstall the 64-bit version first.
You can download the MS Access Database Engine using this link: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=13255